Thursday, June 22, 2017

Going to Lake Park (Confirming Lines 1-8)

Here are photographs of my walk from Mitchell Hall to Lake Park, including the corresponding lines of the Milwaukee verse.

"View the three stories of Mitchell"

Mitchell Hall, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

"As you walk the beating of the world
From three who lived there"

NOTE: I forgot to photograph the street sign for Downer Avenue, the first of the three.  I will next time I go to Lake Park.



Note: As I researched in an earlier post, Summit Avenue is not named after someone who "lived here", but you still have to walk past this street.


"At a distance in space
Past woman with harpsicord,
Silently playing"


Again, as I mentioned in a previous post, the "woman with harpsicord, silently playing" is likely a reference to Marietta Robusti, the painter.  Her self-portrait was with a harpsicord.

"Step on nature
Cast in copper"



Lake Park is right past Marietta Avenue, and this photo clearly illustrates how you can "step on nature" (Lake Park) that is "cast in copper" (the Lincoln Memorial is printed on the back of copper pennies).  


This little plaque is right near this entrance to the park.

This is what the entrance to the park looks like.  

Once you are in the park you will see that all of the lamp posts have this "Masonic G" symbol.  More on this later.

Also, if you try to enter the Locust Street Ravine Trail or cross the bridge from this entrance, please note that they are closed to the public.




But you can walk right around the fence and go down the trail anyway.  



This is the bridge that is closed, after I went passed the fence telling me it was closed.

Unfortunately I had to cut my exploratory search short before arriving to the Grand Staircase (more on that later), as it looked like the rain we were expecting was finally happening.




A few notes:
  • I waited by the "closed" entrance to the Locust Street Ravine Trail for a half-hour, and three different people emerged from the trail.  All of them told me they didn't know why the trail was closed, as it was perfectly safe to walk if you are wearing proper shoes.
  • Also, I noticed some poison ivy by the entrance, and one of the guys mentioned that he noticed some along the trail, too.  If anyone goes looking, wear long pants and be sensible.
  • Wear bug spray.  Mosquitoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment